Monday 12 March 2018

Sore lip saviours

A few weeks ago my lips were in the worst condition they've been in for years. I had oral thrush so my lips were blistered, sore and dry. In desperation I turned to my old favourite lip remedies. They're the products that I always have in my collection, balms that I know will do the trick if my lips are suffering.


Carmex
I've been using Carmex since I was a teenager. It was the first lip balm I found that actually healed my chapped lips. Back then (thanks to a vitamin b deficiency) I'd wake up with blood through my mouth from my cracked lips. I tried every lip balm available then out of desperation I asked the chemist and they gave me my first jar of Carmex. Thirty years later I still use Carmex and always have at least two tubs in my collection. 

Looking at the ingredients list it sounds like the sort of balm that I'd hate. It contains petrolatum and camphor, two ingredients I steer clear of, however in Carmex they work. Carmex starts healing my lips instantly and within a few days my lips are restored to their normal, healthy condition. 

I don't use the Carmex balms with SPF in them as I'm allergic to SPF, however the pot and squeeze tube versions are magic on sore, cracked lips. 

Burt's Bees
Burt's Bees is the second balm I found that could heal my cracked lips. Back then I had no idea about natural products and I had to order my Burt's Bees products from the US as they weren't available in Australia. 

I use both the stick and tub versions, I prefer the stick as I don't have to put my fingers in it. This has a real minty tingle to it and starts working instantly. It works almost as quickly as Carmex.

Natralus Paw Paw Ointment
Paw Paw has been a staple in our household since I was a child. Back then the only version available was the notorious red tub, which we now know contains the dreaded petrolatum. Happily, there are now many natural, organic paw paw balms available and I've tried every single one I can get my hands on. By far the best is Natralus. Their paw paw balm is natural and contains shea butter, calendula, cocoa butter and olive oil, so it's very hydrating and soothing. Once my lips are starting to heal I start using paw paw.

I like to use it as a thick lip mask at night and over the top of my Carmex for added moisture. Whilst it doesn't heal as quickly as Carmex, it is perfect for when the cracks are healed and lips are parched. If I just have dry lips I'll use Natralus, cracked lips require Carmex or Burt's Bees. 

Egyptian Magic
This truly is a little pot of magic. As a face treatment Egyptian Magic is amazing, it makes my skin feel very soft and smooth. It does the same for sore lips. Soothes, heals and softens. As with the Natralus Paw Paw, Egyptian Magic is what I use once my lips have started to heal and I need a big hydration hit. It doesn't heal in the way that Carmex and Burt's Bees do, but it hydrates. I also love to use Egyptian Magic as a lip primer, it's great under lipstick. Now that it's available in a small pot, it's easy to carry around and a great, multi-purpose product.

What are your favourite lip balms?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!