Tuesday 28 February 2017

30 Day Minimalism Game

Today marks the end of my 30 Day Minimalism Game. It was a lot of fun and I had a great time getting rid of things. Since I didn't follow the rules properly I finished the game in 16 days instead of 30, which I must say I'm pretty pleased about.
Jar of assorted crap

Here's what I got rid of:

1 dressing table
110 items of clothing
7 pairs of shoes
3 baby blankets
8 plastic plates
1 table
4 hand sanitisers
2 single shoes that I couldn't find the match for, wtf?
7 handbags
4 expired baby lotions
8 expired foods from the pantry
51 magazines
11 glass jars
6 expired medicines
6 cans of cleaning product
1 makeup bag. 
2 wall hangings
1 sock
1 packet of baby food pouches
15 kitchen drawer things
1 photo frame
2 glass water bottles
3 chipped plates
29 assorted glass items (5 cups, 1 salad bowl, 2 plates, 1 dip set, 5 bowls, 7 shot glasses, 1 vase, 6 small bowls, 1 saucer)
1 empty craft glue (it leaked everywhere)
1 jar of assorted crap
2 tubs of expired protein powders
1 packet of b12 sachets
1 kids fold-out lounge      
15 empty boxes
5 books
4 coat hangers
1 picnic wine set 
3 suit bags
1 smoke alarm
1 camera case
1 ripped pillow slip
36 candle things
54 items from the plastic drawer including 28 lids!
18 beauty products
1 ripped quilt cover
14 fridge magnets
21 cd cases.
Why did I keep this stuff? Most of it is rubbish!
I also threw out, sold or gave away a whole pile of things out of the boys toy room. I stopped counting after 200, at a guess I'd say it was well over 500. 

I thought that it was going to be a walk in the park but it wasn't quite as easy as I expected, mainly because I couldn't just get in there and sort through things unless Tiger was home. I got to day 13 and hit a wall so had to wait for Tiger to get home to continue. Trying to declutter with Eljay "helping" is rather difficult. When I could get into it without interruption it was easy. I even managed to unpack nine boxes that have been sitting there since we moved into this house 3 1/2 years ago!

My sister in law lent me a book case so I was able to put all my books out which I'm absolutely thrilled about. I also found my favourite cd's that have been missing since we moved, I thought they'd been lost.  


I was amazed at all the crap I'd kept hold of. Lids with no match, old sauce bottles and other useless things. Expired products were scary, I found a hand sanitiser that expired in 2014, soft drinks that expired in 2015 and other random foods that had expired years ago. Gross. 

There were a few points where I felt overwhelmed and wanted to give up. We have so much crap in the house and I didn't know where to start. I'd look at something, shake my head and then walk away again. To resolve this I started small. I'd spend five minutes decluttering then I'd stop and come back to it later. 

Whilst I decluttered a lot there is still a long way to go. I need to get rid of more things out of the toy room, the junk room is still full of junk, the spare room has a whole pile of crap in it and so does the rest of the house. I could probably complete a month's Minimalism Game just on the kitchen alone.

As I said in my first post I'm going to continue doing the Minimalism Game every month until the house is decluttered. Is this something you're interested in seeing posts about? If it is I'll continue to post my progress.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!