Thursday 30 January 2014

Thoughts of the month

1. It's interesting how some of the people closest to me know so little about me. I had a conversation with my mum last month and realised that she really doesn't know me at all. She seems to think she does and that she has an insight into me and my life that I don't, but she's so wrong. For some reason Mum thinks I don't know myself and that she can see things I can't see. She doesn't.

2. The other interesting thing about the conversation we had is that I didn't bother to correct her. I let her believe what she believes. It's not important to me that she know who I really am. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or if it's sad. Either way, it is what it is. 

3. I'd hoped that as the boys got older FIFO would get easier, but it hasn't. If anything it's getting harder. Every day I have more and more admiration for single parents. I really don't know how they do it and retain their sanity. By the time Tiger gets home I'm an exhausted mess.

4. The CSIRO's response to a letter from a seven year old asking them to make her a dragon is awesome.  

5. Even better, they then went on to make her a dragon! You can read about it here

6. Speaking of awesome, this is a great image highlighting the ridiculousness of the rape culture (I'm assuming that they didn't actually set someone on fire). 

7. It is alarmingly difficult to think of ten thoughts this month. I could easily come up with ten thoughts about parenting or toilet training, however that's not interesting and I'm sure no-one, myself included, wants to read about it.

8. We briefly had a dog this month. It's been many years since I had a dog, when my baby Roxy died in 2004 I was heartbroken and I haven't been able to bring myself to get another dog since. The few days that we had Chester reminded me of how much I miss having a dog and how heartbreaking it is to lose them. Pets really are family members.

9. I've decided that I'm going to study, hopefully this year, however it all depends on our finances. After spending 13 years working for the federal government, I am not qualified for any of the jobs that are available around here. If we were living in the city I'd easily get a job, but now that we are in the country I'll need to retrain. I'm looking forward to using my brain again.

10. This month I discovered haloumi. Why didn't any of you tell me about it? How is it possible that I've gone 40 years without haloumi in my life? It's a travesty! I have to say I'm very disappointed that none of you bothered to tell me about the amazingness that is haloumi. I now have to try to make up for all those years I missed out on eating haloumi, it's going to be very hard work! 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!