Wednesday 13 October 2010

Saturation Point?

I think I've finally reached saturation point with my make-up and beauty products. Or maybe I'm going through a rut at the moment. I haven't bought anything new for about a month now, and when I visit the shops I'm not inspired to buy anything either. I've been looking at all of the products that I own, and doing spring cleaning and it's really hit home how much money I waste on products that I just don't need. 

I've realised that if I only buy products when I need them I'll be able to buy high end, luxurious products and still be spending less than I do at the moment. Plus, I won't be wasting money on products that expire or go off.
Another thing I have realised is that part of the reason I accumulate products is I don't sample products before I buy the full size. I buy the full size, realise I don't like it so I buy something to replace it without throwing out the product that I didn't like. From now on I'll either use up the product I don't like or give it away, there's no point keeping products that I'm not going to use. Wherever possible I'll sample products before I buy them, which will also save on wastage.

8 comments :

  1. Me too! I have to be seriously impressed by a product to purchase, but I think that's a really good thing. When I was building up my collection I was a little less discerning, but now that I know what good makeup should look like and do, I can choose more carefully. Also, Ebay has lots of samples for sale that only cost a few dollars :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that!!! I'm trying to work my way through all my makeup stuff and really I don't have an insane amount, but yet it still feels like too much hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've put myself on a spending ban for this very reason. good luck to you! I know how hard it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went through this phase for a whole year. I didn't feel like shopping, and even less for beauty products. On the upside, you save money for luxe stuff, even though it's only one piece every 2-3 months :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best! I agree that it's better to buy a small amount of luxe stuffs than a lot of cheaper products that might not work. Having said that, quality doesn't always mean exxy... :)
    P.S. I'm still going through the lip products I got from swap with you! Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that buying full size instead of sampling thing too, and the same... I don't like it so I throw it in a drawer and go and buy something else.

    This might not be such a huge issue if getting samples at Australian counters wasn't like getting blood from a stone...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you seem to be doing pretty well with your spring cleaning (I got my Donna Hay mag in the post yesterday, the Spring Issue, and I thought: what the hell?? It's Autumn here!!!!), I suppose you're making space for "what's" to come ;) I'm also trying to "Autumn" clean my stuff, not just makeup but everything else too, and i'm still working on my P&S challenge! Will we see the light at the end of the tunnel? Or the actual bottom of the drawer?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the bad habbit of doing that too. I have started getting rid of what i can by giving it away to people.

    The worst part for me? I live in America where we have a REALLY lenient return policy.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!